Rheumatology EMR Database at ICES
The Rheumatology EMR Database was established in 2019 to allow for the study of rheumatology care delivery and patient outcomes in Ontario. The database contains de-sensitized patient data from the electronic medical records (EMRs) of participating rheumatologists from across the province. In addition to the detailed clinical information captured in EMRs, the database is linkable to the provincial health administrative data held at ICES, which permits a more comprehensive picture to evaluate health services and outcomes. The Rheumatology EMR Database is securely held and used in accordance with privacy and security policies and procedures that have been approved by Ontario’s Information and Privacy Commissioner.
The overarching aims are to:
- Enhance evaluation of Ontario’s health care system performance and efficiency in order to stimulate health system changes, and inform policy development (such as resource allocation, models of care delivery, comparative effectiveness)
- Enhance evaluation of clinical care and outcomes of care to stimulate quality improvement activities and reduce variations in clinical practice
- Provide real-world evidence to improve the health of Ontarians with rheumatic and musculoskeletal disorders
- Support advocacy efforts for rheumatology and Ontarians with rheumatic and musculoskeletal disorders
- Enhance rheumatology research capacity and innovation by employing novel data linkages, and motivating, engaging, and empowering the rheumatology community by harnessing the power and value of real-world evidence stemming from rheumatology EMRs.
ICES Project Lead: Jessica Widdifield
ICES Project Manager: Daniella Barron
Grants Supporting the Rheumatology EMR Database
The Arthritis Society 2018-2021: Enhancing the Use of Rheumatology Electronic Medical Records to Evaluate and Optimize Care.
Project Team: Jessica Widdifield, Vandana Ahluwalia, Tom Appleton, Henry Averns, Claire Barber, Sasha Bernatsky, Lihi Eder, Derek Haaland, Catherine Hofstetter, Bindee Kuriya, Liisa Jaakkimainen, Diane Lacaille, Shirley Lake, Anne Lyddiatt, Dianne Mosher, Alex Singer, Carter Thorne, Karen Tu, Michel Zummer