For example, it explains what data is collected by ICES about users accessing its website, and how ICES handles that data, and any other data generated as a consequence of users accessing its website.
ICES is a non-governmental, non-commercial entity, which is not subject to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, SC 2000, c 5 (PIPEDA) or Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, RSBC 1996, c 165 (FIPPA) with respect to data it receives from external users, clients, and customers, via its website.
- Cookies. A cookie is a small text file that a website creates and exchanges with your browser when you visit our website. Cookies are used by WP Engine to obtain the automatically collected and generated data described below.
- Automatically collected data
- ICES’ website uses Google Tag Manager to track statistics about downloads from our website. Data is aggregated by Google and ICES cannot access user level data via this tool.
- ICES’ website uses Google Analytics to track statistics about visitors to our websites. Data is aggregated by Google and ICES cannot access user level data via this tool.
- Data voluntarily provided by you to ICES,
- This data is provided by you via forms hosted on our website, or sent to ICES via e-mail, for a specific purpose (such as signing up to receiving our newsletter, making an inquiry about our organization, or applying to become an ICES Scientist or DAS user).
- Generated Data:
How We Use Your Data
ICES’ service providers (WordPress, WP Engine and Google), may collect, use and disclose website analytics data with ICES or third parties, in accordance with their privacy policies. Your user data may be tracked when accessing third party tools such as YouTube videos and using Google Search embedded in our website.
Data voluntarily provided by you to ICES is used only for the purpose for which it was provided. We take reasonable steps to protect this data from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Data voluntarily provided by you is deleted by ICES, 7 years after it is no longer reasonably necessary for the purpose for which it was provided. You may unsubscribe from our newsletter by sending an email to [email protected].