The following private sector projects have been completed.
Client: Shoppers Drug Mart
Research Question/Objectives: An average 50% of patients with chronic disease discontinue their medication within the first year. Non-adherence accounts for 5% of hospitalizations and $7-9B in health care costs. This study aims to understand what factors contribute to adherent/non-adherent behaviour, to inform future work examining whether targeted incentives can lead to improved adherence and preventative health management in Ontario for 2016. Over the longer term, there is interest to see whether these incentives translate to improved health outcomes (i.e. lower health care utilization or hospitalizations). The practice of offering incentives is not currently permitted in Ontario. Specifically, the research questions of interest are:
- Identify the variables associated with medication adherence among the study population. Results will identify risk factors of non-adherence, and will inform inclusion and exclusion criteria for Phase 2
- Explore the relationship between medication adherence, health outcomes and health care utilization among the study population.
Availability of Results: June 2018
Client: Sanofi Pasteur
Research Question/Objectives: The objective of this research is to utilize linked health administrative databases in Ontario to establish the burden of Clostridium difficile (CDI) in Canada’s most populous province. Through the use of descriptive statistics, regression modeling and matched case-control analysis, this study will answer important questions about CDI which are necessary for optimal decision-making regarding prevention and treatment planning. Specifically , the research questions of interest are:
- To measure the annual incidence of CDI in Ontario, both overall and in acute care hospitals, long-term care facilities, and community-dwelling populations
- To determine the complication rates associated with CDI in these populations, compared to control groups with similar demographics and medical history
- To estimate the cost of health care utilization associated with CDI in Ontario.
Availability of Results: April 2019