An observational study of sickle cell disease in Ontario, Canada: healthcare resource utilization and clinical outcomes
Client: IQVIA Solutions Canada Inc.
Project ID: P2022-121 / 2023 0970 330 000
Research Question/Objectives: The client seeks to investigate the true cost burden of sickle cell disease (SCD) to the Canadian health care system.
- Describe the epidemiology of Ontarians with SCD, including incidence/prevalence, patient demographic & clinical characteristics, mortality.
- Study patient journey in terms of clinical history, treatment patterns and outcomes, healthcare use and costs.
- Assess the association between hemoglobin levels and other hemolytic biomarker on relevant clinical events (e.g., time to event analyses for endorgan damage, mortality, and other outcomes), costs and healthcare utilization.
- Stratify the primary objectives by:
- Treatment received [such as hydroxyurea (HU) only, HU + transfusions, transfusions-only, transplants, opioids use, erythroid stimulating agents (ESAs), and iron chelation therapy (data availability and sample size permitting)]
- Patient characteristics/outcomes (such as age)
- Match the study cohort to general population controls to determine the difference in HCRU, costs, BOI and health outcomes.
- In progress