A retrospective study based on secondary claims data to understand the treated natural history of PAH in Ontario
Client: Acceleron Pharma Inc., (a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc.), Cambridge, MA, USA through the researcher: Charles River Associates
Project ID: P2020-077 / 2022 0970 271 000
Research Question/Objectives: Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is a rare disease with a limited understanding of the current epidemiology in Canada. PAH is associated with an elevated mortality risk, especially if left untreated. Our client has a product in development for the treatment of PAH with an expected commercial launch in the Canadian market in the near future. By improving the understanding of the treated natural history, PAH can be treated earlier and more efficiently, improving the overall survival rate of affected patients in Ontario.
The specific research objectives are:
- What is the estimated prevalence of PAH in Ontario?
- What is the patient profile of patients with PAH?
- How are patients currently being treated for PAH?
- Which specialty types are treating PAH patients and in what setting?
- What is the health resource utilization for PAH patients?
- November 2023