Become an ICES Scientist
ICES scientists are independent researchers with a university academic appointment at the level of assistant professor or higher and who have experience using ICES data to conduct health services research. ICES scientists enjoy access to all ICES data holdings. ICES scientists are appointed to the ICES Research Program which best fits their interests and, as such, become members of a network of health services researchers from across Ontario.
All initial scientist appointments at ICES are probationary and are contingent on:
- A university academic appointment at the level of assistant professor or higher.
- At least two publications with a lead role (primary or senior author) using data from ICES (or substantially similar data from another jurisdiction).
- Funds to carry out the proposed program of research from sources such as grants, departmental funds or funds from a mentor or collaborator's grant. Applicants need not hold a grant for ICES research personally at the time of their application for appointment.
- Absence of unmanageable conflicts of interest as determined by the ICES CEO.
Applications must include:
- A one to two page outline of a) the applicant’s specific research plans for working with ICES data and staff during the first three years of appointment, including how the work will be funded and the ICES Research Program and Site where the work will take place; and b) an outline of any projects already underway using ICES data.
- A current curriculum vitae with all projects and publications using ICES data (if any) annotated
- A letter from the nominee’s ICES mentor outlining the support that will be provided to the probationary appointee. The ICES mentor must be a full-status ICES scientist who has completed their own probationary period.
- A completed Conflict of Interest Declaration Form. Please review ICES’ Conflict of Interest Policy and Declaration Form before completing the form.
Exceptions to these criteria may be granted by the ICES CEO on a case-by-case basis.
Applications for ICES scientist appointment are reviewed by the Program Leaders' Committee and decisions regarding appointment are made by the ICES CEO based on the recommendations of the Committee.
To complete the application package for ICES Scientist appointment, please download and complete the Appointment Application Form and send this form along with the required documentation to the appropriate research program coordinator.