Data. Discovery. Better Health.
We’ve got the data. Only the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences holds all of Ontario’s 18 billion health related records – comprised of nearly a trillion data points!
We’ve made improvements to health. As a world-leading research institute, our trusted evidence changes policy and practice…and patient lives.
We need you for the discovery part.
Your skills, knowledge and curiosity can change the future of health care.
Come discover your value.
Role Group: Executive
ICES is seeking a senior director, information technology, finance and corporate projects to join our executive team. The senior director, information technology, finance and corporate projects will lead and direct the Information Technology (IT), Finance, Facilities and Administration and Project Management Office (PMO) departments to contribute to the achievement of ICES’ short and long-term business objectives. Reporting to the CEO, the senior director is responsible for execution of the strategic plan as it relates to the corporate and operational functions at ICES. As a member of the executive team, they will provide strategic direction and leadership to effectively deploy appropriate governance, process, and capabilities to achieve ICES’ strategic direction, development, and future growth. As a senior leader, they will also be responsible for communicating IT, finance and new business strategies and initiatives to key stakeholders including executives, internal and external stakeholders.
Responsibilities of the position include, but may not be limited to:
- Support and advise the CEO in the development of the overall strategic direction, goals and objectives of ICES and specifically within the areas of IT, Finance, Facilities and Administration and PMO
- Support the implementation of short, mid and long term strategies and continuously monitor the environment for trends, issues and risks and recommends solutions to eliminate and/or mitigate identified issues and risks related to technology, finance and operations
- Responsible for IT, Finance, Facilities and Administration and PMO; ensures that respective department business plans are aligned with the ICES business strategy and is responsible for departmental results and outcomes
- Oversee the development of long-term plan, strategy and roadmap for service level agreements and implementation of technologies across the organization
- Provide financial and operational leadership within the Finance team
- Oversee and ensure accuracy of all relevant financial reporting
- Lead development of budget working with CEO and executive team; ensures clarity across organization of budgets at Department level; ensures regular reporting on budget and management to ensure adequate resources for the successful delivery of strategies and initiatives
- Develop and implement a results oriented management framework within the departments
- Ensure efficient and effective financial management processes are in place including reporting and control mechanisms sufficient to ensure appropriate stewardship of resources
- Work collaboratively with the senior director, research and data to ensure integration, alignment and collaboration between platforms as appropriate
- Work collaboratively with the senior director, strategic partnerships and external services to ensure integration, alignment and collaboration between platforms as appropriate; and in supporting and managing business relationships with public and private sector clients, and the development of new business products and services for the public and private sectors
- Oversee the development of costing models to address evolving services and funding landscape
- Responsible for risk management within respective departments and for business continuity planning including adequate disaster recovery capability organization wide
- Develop, implement, conduct and manage operational processes, structures and resources, including corporate data and information, to support activities and decisions related to the operation of the functional group and associated departments
- Primary responsibility for corporate reporting to the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Establish and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and decision makers including management, scientists, partners and other funding organizations and the various government ministries
- Ensure appropriate resources, work flow processes and services provided by relative departments are in place to effectively and efficiently enable operations of the ICES Research and Data and Science Office platforms
- Responsible for the implementation of the physical security requirements for ICES Central in collaboration with the manager, facilities and administration
- Oversee PMO staff and projects and ensure PMO staff and resources are managed such that they support priority projects across the organization
- Effectively manage all aspects of the performance of direct reports, including the development of management team’s capabilities, coaching individuals and evaluating performance and fostering a climate of innovation, professionalism and superior delivery
- Build a culture within the functional group that supports the mission, vision and values of ICES
- Analyze major capital and operational expenditure requirements, make recommendations, implement and monitor against established metrics
- Ensure appropriate oversight as it relates to policy and procedures including change management, information management, risk management and business continuity planning for IT, Finance, Facilities and Administration and PMO
- Oversee the development and implementation of the technology strategy, governance and architecture for ICES that includes technology infrastructure, telecommunication and other collaborative technology network communication tools, web/intranet enablement, and application systems. Work collaboratively with other ICES departments and stakeholders to achieve these objectives
- Contribute to the development and management of the organizational risk management program including the appropriate identification, monitoring, and mitigation and reporting of risks
- Ensure appropriate financial and other reporting to the Board via the Finance Audit and Risk (FAR) Committee of the Board including the planning and preparation of FAR Committee agenda and completion of reports
- Work closely with the CEO to report strategic issues to the Board of Directors
- Other duties as may be assigned within the scope of this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Master’s degree in relevant field. MBA and/or CPA an asset. Degree and/or certificates in computer science or information technology preferred. Project management certification preferred
- Seven to ten years of senior management experience in leading multi-disciplinary teams in information technology, finance, facilities management and project management
- Strong leadership experience directing IT and finance functions
- Exceptionally strong communication and presentation skills with a capability to communicate technical issues to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences including the ICES Board of Directors, the Information and Privacy Commissioner’s Office, auditors and ICES’ management, scientists and staff
- Experience with business planning, budget control and sourcing and procurement practices, including: reviewing, negotiating and finalizing large complex legal contracts
- Proven experience with all aspects of finance, including identifying opportunities for improving process, financial efficiencies and leading a high functioning team
- Demonstrated understanding of enterprise-wide multi-platform operating system security, network security, application security and database security
- Strong non-for-profit financial management experience an asset
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to establish and develop relationships with key decision makers and influencers
- Demonstrated high level of credibility to influence large groups of professionals and peers
- A demonstrated track record of balancing strategic thinking and leadership with tactical effort
- A solid understanding of new and emerging information technology, concepts and architectures and the ability to link new technologies with business strategic direction
- Proven analytical, planning, prioritizing and organizational skills
- Comfortable with decision making in complex situations
- Strong problem solving skills.
This position is a full-time opportunity located at ICES Central in Toronto.
ICES offers a competitive compensation package with full benefits, and participation in a defined benefit pension plan with HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan).
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter detailing how their knowledge, skills, and abilities match the scope of this position to the attention of:
Human Resources Department
Please quote job# EXE-18-03
This position will be posted until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working at ICES. Due to the volume of applications received, only applicants being considered for the position will be contacted for further discussions.
ICES is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, and applicants are asked to make their needs known.