Data. Discovery. Better Health.
We’ve got the data. Only the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences holds all of Ontario’s 18 billion health related records – comprised of nearly a trillion data points!
We’ve made improvements to health. As a world-leading research institute, our trusted evidence changes policy and practice…and patient lives.
We need you for the discovery part.
Your skills, knowledge and curiosity can change the future of health care.
Come discover your value.
Role Group: Research and Analysis; Data and Analytic Services
The ICES Research and Analysis (R&A) and Data & Analytical Services (DAS) teams are seeking two motivated research analysts to work collaboratively with ICES researchers, applying research methodology and knowledge of epidemiology in the context of health services administrative data. The successful candidate for the position with R&A will report to the research program manager for the Chronic Disease and Pharmacotherapy program (CDP). The successful candidate for the position with DAS will report to the director, DAS. Both research analysts will work collaboratively with project teams to provide epidemiologic and analytic expertise for their assigned projects.
Responsibilities of the position include, but may not be limited to:
- Enhancing expertise in the use of administrative and other health data
- Assembling meaningful datasets for examining research questions
- Participating in the development of study designs and sampling strategies
- Conducting exploratory and statistical analysis of data using statistical software independently and/or in collaboration with team member(s) or investigators; this includes:
- Developing SAS programs to extract and merge data from existing ICES databases according to dataset creation plans to create study cohorts following analytic guidelines and standards
- Carrying out statistical analysis on developed study cohorts according to specifications in the project analysis plans
- Preparing, reviewing and interpreting analytic output (e.g., tables and reports)
- Assisting with the production of accurate and timely data/reports including the development of dataset creation and analytic plans; data interpretation and presentation; and the development of procedures for data validation as appropriate
- Engaging actively with the project team to provide advice on research feasibility, design, methodology, availability of ICES data and interpretation of findings
- Interfacing with internal and external stakeholders and partners in support of the project, such as expert panels, committees and team meetings
- Writing reports (technical reports/working papers/ICES publications/web-based summaries), abstracts, poster presentations, peer-reviewed publications and other relevant deliverables, in collaboration with the PI
- Applying general project management principles including monitoring project timelines, risks and deliverables in collaboration with other team members and liaising with other departments as required
- May contribute to or support the development of a body of knowledge in support of ICES such as updating documentation
- May contribute to other committees or activities within the department or ICES in support of the ICES business plan as required
- Continuing to maintain and expand professional skills; and
- Performing other duties as assigned within the scope of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- MSc. in biostatistics, statistics, epidemiology, or related field
- Experience with SAS and other data management tools
- Experience with R an asset
- Facility with macro writing and SQL an asset
- An aptitude for data management and research methodology
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Creativity in developing data measures and initiative in resolving data anomalies
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills and ability to exercise discretion and good judgment are essential
- Proven time management skills, and the ability to prioritize responsibilities and work accurately and effectively under pressure to meet deadlines is essential
- At least two years experience with health administrative databases is an asset.
Both roles are two year full-time contracts with the possibility of renewal and are located at ICES Central in Toronto.
ICES offers a competitive compensation package with full benefits, and participation in a defined benefit pension plan with HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan).
Interested candidates should submit their resume, and cover letter detailing how their knowledge, skills and abilities match the scope of this position to the attention of:
Human Resources Department
Please quote job# RED-18-27
These positions will be posted until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working at ICES. Due to the volume of applications received, only applicants being considered for the position will be contacted for further discussions.
ICES is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, and applicants are asked to make their needs known.