Data. Discovery. Better Health.
We’ve got the data. Only the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences holds all of Ontario’s 18 billion health related records – comprised of nearly a trillion data points!
We’ve made improvements to health. As a world-leading research institute, our trusted evidence changes policy and practice…and patient lives.
We need you for the discovery part.
Your skills, knowledge and curiosity can change the future of health care.
Come discover your value.
Functional Area: Research and Data
The ICES Research and Analysis Department is seeking a motivated epidemiologist to provide epidemiological expertise and research methodology expertise, and general project oversight in the context of our health services research. The epidemiologist reports to the research program manager in their assigned program. The epidemiologist will work collaboratively with the project team and under the direction of the principal investigator (PI) or staff scientist; and will provide epidemiological expertise, analytic input and project management for their assigned projects in collaboration with investigators, students and key partners.
Responsibilities of the position include, but may not be limited to:
Research and organization related duties may include:
- Develop, plan and implement study/project protocols under the direction of the PI or staff scientist. These activities may include:
- Assisting in grant/project submissions including budget preparation
- Completing literature searches and/or literature reviews
- Assisting with study design and sampling strategies
- Assisting with the production of accurate and timely data/reports including the development of data creation and analytic plans; data interpretation and presentation; and the development of procedures for data validation as appropriate.
- General project management which may include:
- Monitoring project timelines, risks and deliverables in collaboration with other team members
- Managing project budgets and allocating funds in collaboration with the PI
- Liaising with the Finance and Procurement departments.
- Work effectively and efficiently according to ICES policies, procedures, standards, workflow processes, documents and requirements (e.g., complete program and project documentation according to ICES standards and guidelines)
- Write reports (technical reports/working papers/ICES publications/web-based summaries), abstracts, poster presentations, peer-reviewed publications and other relevant deliverables, in collaboration with the PI or staff scientist
- Work with Communications, Knowledge Translation & Exchange to finalize written and graphic formats and to create report dissemination plans
- Interface with internal and external stakeholders in support of the project such as expert panels, committees and team meetings
- Facilitate the uptake of knowledge by local decision-makers across Ontario through the presentation of findings, education sessions and one-on-one interactions as required
- May contribute to or support the development of a body of knowledge in support of ICES such as updating documentation
- May contribute to other committees or activities within the department or ICES in support of ICES' business plan as required
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Master’s degree in epidemiology, public health or a related field
- Knowledge generally gained through two years of related experience
- Experience in managing clinical, epidemiological and/or health services research projects and/or experience in health planning and decision support
- Working knowledge of common research and data presentation methodologies, bio-statistical analytic methods applied to health services research and data collection and/or management methodologies
- Working knowledge of the concepts of health services research
- Knowledge of primary care research and databases is an asset
- Understanding of bio-statistical analytic techniques
- SAS programming skills preferred
- Proficient in the use of MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet Explorer), as well as the ability to work with computerized databases
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills and ability to exercise discretion and good judgment
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to demonstrate time management skills to manage and prioritize work load responsibilities and timelines
- Ability to work accurately and effectively under pressure, and to meet deadlines.
This position is a two year full-time contract located at ICES Central in Toronto.
ICES offers a competitive compensation package with full benefits, and participation in a defined benefit pension plan with HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan).
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter detailing how their knowledge, skills and abilities match the scope of this position to the attention of:
Human Resources Department
Please quote job# RED-18-29
This position will be posted until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working at ICES. Due to the volume of applications received, only applicants being considered for the position will be contacted for further discussions.
ICES is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, and applicants are asked to make their needs known.