Data. Discovery. Better Health.
We’ve got the data. Only ICES holds all of Ontario’s 18 billion health related records – comprised of nearly a trillion data points!
We’ve made improvements to health. As a world-leading research institute, our trusted evidence changes policy and practice…and patient lives.
We need you for the discovery part.
Your skills, knowledge and curiosity can change the future of health care.
Come discover your value.
Role Group: Corporate Services
ICES is currently recruiting a senior financial leader for an opportunity to join the organization in the position of director of finance. Reporting to the senior director of information technology, finance and corporate services, the successful candidate will be responsible to manage the finance and procurement teams, while providing expertise and guidance to the ICES executive team, faculty, and staff. The director of finance will be expected to perform these functions while operating within ICES’ philosophy and mandate.
Responsibilities of the position include, but may not be limited to:
- Managing staff
- Manages the Finance team ensuring adequate resources and accurate reporting
- Coordinates and communicates annual goal setting, and completes performance reviews of finance and procurement staff:
- Manages resource requirements including hiring recommendations and job function allocation for team
- Ensures ongoing skills development for team members.
- Financial/audit responsibilities
- Ensures legislative compliance for all financial transactions
- Ensures development and dissemination of financial reports to the Executive, Board of Directors, Finance Audit & Risk Committee, and other stakeholders
- Fulfills all government reporting requirements, including preparation of all required corporate tax returns, charity tax returns and MOHLTC funding reports
- Prepares and manages year-end audit files and relationship with external auditors
- Acts as treasurer (ex officio) of the ICES Board of Directors
- Ensures all accounting procedures are compliant with GAAP.
- Providing financial and operational leadership:
- Participates in developing ICES and grant annual budgets
- Participates in annual strategic planning, development of annual corporate budgets and quarterly forecasting, works with HR to forecast headcount
- Develops financial policies, processes and procedures
- Develops operational efficiencies and metrics
- Manages development and operations of the MSS project system, and any new financial management application
- Acts as a key liaison with satellite facility/financial administrators for development of annual budgets, costing and other financial matters.
- Developing and providing relevant financial management reporting:
- Develops and maintains cycle processes for all financial reporting
- Provides cost modeling and business casing as required for internal management decisions
- Liaises with internal stakeholders and develops required decision management reports
- Provides financial reports to external stakeholders.
- Providing procurement leadership:
- Provides oversight and guidance to the procurement team to ensure legislative (BPS) guidelines are adhered to
- Ensures procurement policies, processes and procedures create efficiencies within the organization
- Ensures legal and risk mitigation through proper sourcing and procurement of goods and services.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required
- University degree in business administration, commerce or related field with a specialization in accounting and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. A professional accounting designation, CPA (CA, CMA, or CGA), is required.
- Minimum of eight years experience managing finance function
- Fully proficient in the use of MS Office
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills within a finance and procurement environment
- Experience presenting to a Board of Directors and Audit Committees is required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to exercise discretion and good judgment
- Ability to maintain strict confidence as required when interacting with stakeholders
- Superior organizational and time management skills are essential in order to manage and prioritize workload
- Ability to multi-task, work accurately and effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, and remain composed in high-pressure situations
- Knowledge of research grant accounting, not-for-profit reporting or health care sector is an asset
- Experience with SAP is considered an asset
- Maintain interest in continuing professional growth and development, and encourage others towards that goal.
This position is a full-time opportunity located at ICES Central in Toronto.
ICES offers a competitive compensation package with full benefits, and participation in a defined benefit pension plan with HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan).
Interested candidates should submit their resume, and cover letter detailing how their knowledge, skills and abilities match the scope of this position to the attention of:
Human Resources Department
Please quote job#: COR-18-14
We thank all applicants for their interest in working at ICES. Due to the volume of applications received, only applicants being considered for the position will be contacted for further discussions.
ICES is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, and applicants are asked to make their needs known.