As a research institution that uses data from members of the public in its work, ICES must reflect the values of Ontarians in the decisions we make and the work we do. We believe in collaborating with the public to shape the way health and other data is used to improve health care for Ontarians. To achieve this, ICES has created mechanisms to engage the public in issues that matter to them at all levels of the organization. We are committed to listening to the public’s expression of their needs and priorities and aim to incorporate those perspectives in our work.
Through public engagement, we focus our efforts in four key areas:
- Convening a Public Advisory Council
- Creating resources for ICES scientists and staff to assist them with public engagement
- Designing communications materials for a public audience
- Developing engagement mechanisms to enhance our understanding of, and alignment with, public values.
Our public engagement action plan
Our Principles of Engagement
- Inclusivity: We will strive to create engagement strategies that capture the diversity of people living in Ontario.
- Collaboration: We will co-design engagement mechanisms and build relationships between the public and the ICES team.
- Respect: We will value the opinions of the public and reflect these opinions wherever possible.
- Transparency: We will communicate information, including risks, in a truthful and accessible manner to support the public in making informed decisions.
- Accountability: We will report back on how feedback from the public is applied and explain when it is not.
Become a public advisor
Interested in how data can improve health care for all Ontarians? Want to share your thoughts and ideas?
Public advisors work with ICES researchers and staff to discuss issues and opportunities around health data research. If you live in Ontario and have an interest in how research and data can improve health care and the health of Ontarians, we invite you to sign up to our mailing list to hear about opportunities to become a public advisor.
If you have any questions about the public engagement mailing list, or the Public Advisory Council, please email email@example.com.
PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT FOR RESEARCHERS
ICES provides support to ICES scientists who are interested in engaging the public in their research. ICES scientists, trainees and staff can access resources, tools, and seek guidance from the public engagement team to guide them as they involve public and patient partners in their projects. As an ICES researcher you can:
- Use the tools and resources on the public engagement resource page on the intranet (including grants, budgeting and recruitment materials).
- Book a consultation with the Manager of Public Engagement to discuss your project and how you can involve members of the public in your research.
- Share your research project with members of the Public Advisory Council to obtain their perspectives.
- Recruit public or patient partners through the public engagement mailing list to be involved in your research project as advisors.
Contact Jenine Paul, Manager of Public Engagement, to learn more.