Since 1992, ICES scientists and data experts have been developing and expanding the ICES data repository – a vast and secure array of linked, encoded Ontario health-related data. ICES researchers have used this linked data to make scientific and policy-relevant discoveries that have helped improve the health care system, and improved health in Ontario, other provinces and internationally.
Starting in March 2014, as part of the Ontario SPOR SUPPORT Unit (OSSU), ICES is providing researchers, students and knowledge users with access to these data through the newly created ICES Data & Analytic Services (ICES DAS). The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) and the Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation (MRI) have partnered to fund the OSSU as part of Canada's Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research (SPOR).
- Access to research-ready linked health administrative data and analytic tools through a secure virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) over the internet
- Support and advice on health administrative dataset creation
- Data analysis and reports
Available ices Datasets
ICES has the largest comprehensive, linked health-related data in Ontario. Data availability is subject to data sharing agreements with the data custodian. Please visit the ICES Data Dictionary for a complete list of available data for ICES DAS, as well as a full listing of ICES datasets.
Datasets available to ICES DAS include:
- Hospital Discharge Abstract Database (DAD)
- National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS)
- Continuing Care Reporting System (CCRS)
- Ontario Drug Benefit Claims (ODB)
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan Claims Database (OHIP)
- Registered Persons Database (RPDB)
- Population and Demographic data
Who can access ICES Data & Analytic Services
- University, college or hospital-affiliated researchers or students
- Publicly-funded, not-for-profit health care agencies
- Policy makers
- Other knowledge users including not-for-profit organizations who require data or analytic services to support evidence-informed policy and practice
Costs OF Services
Costs of services will depend on the type and complexity of the request. ICES DAS staff are available to discuss potential costs of data and analytic services.
Submitting your request
Data access process
ICES DAS Frequently Asked Questions
If you are interested in requesting ICES Data & Analytic Services, please Email or contact ICES DAS staff at 416-480-4092, toll-free: 1-844-848-9855.
ICES DAS acknowledges the following funders and partners